Top Frontend Frameworks of 2022 for Web Development
Developing what the users see on their screens is the role of a front-end web developer. Unarguably, front-end developers worldwide are trying to use the best front-end frameworks to provide the best user experience.
What are Frontend Frameworks?
Before discussing the top Front-end Frameworks, let’s understand what Front-end frameworks are. To understand a Front end framework, we need to know what the front-end is. The front-end of a website or application is the stuff visible to the user on the website. The graphics, typography, and arrangement of these two are what contribute. In addition, it includes building user-friendly interfaces and efficiently presenting the data from the back end to a user.
Thus, a Front-end Framework is a platform/tool to build the front end of your website. Some of the tasks one can perform using a Front-end Framework are – the management of AJAX requests, associating data with The Document object Model (DOM) elements, defining a file structure, and styling of components on the website or application.
Best front-end Frameworks in 2021
When it comes to Frontend Frameworks for web development, there will always be debates regarding which among them is the best. However, after researching the recent studies and surveys about the most popular Front-end frameworks, we have come up with an explicit list of the best front-end frameworks for you. This list is prepared as per the surveys conducted by Github stars.
The ranking of these Frontend Frameworks for web development decides as per the following three crucial factors –
Type of applications you can create with it
One of the most important deciding factors in choosing a front-end framework is what type of application or website you want to create. Whether it is a large-scale application or a small-scale web application, the choice of a framework varies a lot. The most popular front-end frameworks for large-scale applications are – vue.js, react.js, angular, and smaller web applications – jquery and Backbone Js.
The ease of learning and using
With the growing popularity of the digital world, more and more new developers are emerging each passing day. Today, people believe in learning skills that are easy to learn and can help them earn a good living. Therefore, newly emerging front-end developers prefer learning the frameworks that are easy to learn and use and have all the features needed. For example – Reactjs, Vuejs, and Backbonejs are some of the simplest and easiest frameworks to learn than the complex frameworks like angular.
If we think from a developer’s point of view, we’ll prefer the framework that earns us the most. That’s right! Developers working on different frameworks have different earnings. For example, a detailed discussion on front-end frameworks and a Q&A on the website Stack Overflow revealed that front-end developers working on Reactjs and Nodejs frameworks earn $95,000 – $105,000 on average. Therefore most developers prefer learning and opting for React.js to develop the Front-end of a website.
Now that we know what Front-end Frameworks actually are and what they are used to discuss the best front-end frameworks in 2021. So, if you a front-end developer or simply looking to hire a dedicated front-end developer, you’ll know what framework is your go-to option.
Considering how easy it is to learn and how much money a ReactJs Front-end developer makes, ReactJs could easily steal the number one spot for the best Front-end Framework. Now an open-source framework, React was originally developed by Facebook’s team.
Facebook was an emerging app and needed constant additions and improvements, making it hard to fix and maintain the coding part. React allowed them to make changes to the code easily. The unique thing about react is the Virtual Document Object Model (DOM) with exceptional functionality.
- React is easy to learn and use.
- React allows you to reuse an already built component in your code. This way, it’s easier to collaborate and use these components in other parts of the application.
- Use of its virtual DOM allows a seamless performance and ensures that even high-load applications have fast rendering.
- Increased productivity and maintenance. New changes in the application can be easily made.
- It has a browser extension named React Developer Tools, which allows them to make detailed observations of their components and make them better.
- In the initial phases of learning React, it can be difficult for the developers to understand the concepts of JSX.
- ReactJS is used for developing only the UI part of the application. Therefore, to get complete development tools, you will have to rely on other technologies.
- As the components can be easily updated at high speed, it isn’t easy to maintain proper documentation.
React is mostly used for developing single-page applications. However, it is a framework specifically used for User Interface development. It comes in quite handy when you require building an interactive interface for an application within a limited time because you can reuse the components in this framework.
Where can you not use React?
The only of the many Front-end Frameworks in 2021 based on TypeScript, Angular makes its spot on this list. Angular was initially released in the year 2010 by Google as AngularJs. The now known version of the Framework (Angular 2+) was developed and deployed in 2016, keeping in mind the need for improved technology to overcome the hurdles faced by the conventional Frameworks. Similar to ReactJs, it is an open-source platform used to develop user interfaces on the front end.
The one main difference between React and Angular is that Angular has a two-way binding feature. The presence of this feature allows the integration of any changes made in the model with the view. This way, a developer would see what changes they are making in the application and how it looks in real-time.
Angular usually deals with the development of mobile and web applications. Not just that, but one can easily build both single and multi-page web applications. Due to its various features, Angular is opted by some of the biggest companies in the world, including Microsoft Office, BMW, Forbes, Gmail, and Upwork.
Although Angular has better features when compared to React, it is not easy to learn. The framework is a bit complex and thus takes time to excel at.
- The in-built functionality of this framework allows real-time model-view synchronization and makes it easier to make any changes to the application.
- The presence of Directives allows the developers to play around with the Document Object Model (DOM) and create rich content using HTML.
- Dependency injectors allow the developers to decouple interdependent components of code and reuse these components however they need.
- Angular gained popularity among the developers since it was launched. Today, there’s a big community of web developers who use Angular. A developer can easily seek help from this community if he faces an issue.
- The wide variety of features and built-in functionalities make Angular a very complex language to learn.
- Dynamic applications can lag sometimes and may not perform upto the mark.
Angular is the go-to option for most enterprise-based and dynamic web applications due to its two-way data binding that allows browser-based applications to augment.
When Can you not use Angular?
Angular is the complete dynamic solution as a Framework. Thus, if you want to build small-scale web applications, you may not want to opt for angular because you would not utilize its resources to the best. It would merely be a misuse of time and resources. Furthermore, if you are a new developer with a small team, you should avoid using the complex Frameworks like Angular.
The developers of VueJs have combined the existing Front-end Frameworks’ best features to deploy a simple and straightforward framework.
Firstly, it is not complex like Angular, which makes it easy to learn and use. Secondly, it is much smaller in size and similar to Angular, offers two-way binding, Visual DOM, and component-based programming.
VueJs is a framework that allows you to build both dynamic and small web applications with ease. However, despite being versatile, it is not yet popular among big-scale companies. This is because most large-scale companies still trust Angular for enterprise-based web applications. Some of the companies that use VueJs are Alibaba, 9gag, and Xiaomi.
- Availability of detailed documentation for learners.
- Supports the development of both complex dynamic applications and simpler smaller applications.
- The syntax of this framework is very simple and thus easier to work with.
- Presence of a virtual DOM.
- Vue, being in high demand in China, has many of its documentation built-in Chinese, which creates a language barrier for people accessing these documents outside of China.
- VueJs is still in its growing stages and thus does not have a large community.
- VueJs provides a wide range of features, but it’s not as big as React or Angular.
VueJs is suggested to be used for projects that need greater flexibility. You can design everything from scratch and therefore allows designing dynamic applications with more ease.
When not to use –
Despite having a wide range of features, VueJs is still not successful in creating stable components. Another reason why you wouldn’t want to opt for VueJs is if you’re looking for a community where you can seek help if you face any hurdles.
The good thing is it is still used and is developing into a better version of itself each day. With the development of JQuery Mobile, one can easily develop mobile applications, which was not possible initially.
- JQuery is one of the simplest Frameworks out there. Even with very little programming language, one can easily use JQuery. This is the reason why it is still considered one of the best front-end frameworks in 2021.
- Despite being a simple framework, it can still be used to deploy dynamic applications.
- Components can be easily added or removed due to its flexible DOM.
- An open-source platform that simplifies HTTP requests.
- JQuery is an older platform, and many new and better frameworks are available in the market today.
- JQuery allows the development of dynamic applications but at a slower rate.
- The lightweight interface of JQuery may lead to problems in the longer run
When not to use?
With its component-based functionality and two-way data binding, Ember resembles Angular a lot. It was developed in 2011 owing to the demands of modern technologies. Despite being one of the toughest Frameworks to learn, it is still used by some of the largest companies like Linkedin and Apple. This is because it allows the developers to develop complex mobile and web applications easily.
- It is one of the fastest Frameworks available in the market.
- It provides two-way data binding.
- A well-developed and fully packed Package ecosystem for all your needs.
- It is backward compatible, so the older versions of applications will still work flawlessly despite new updates.
- The learning curve of EmberJs is very steep.
- It has a very complex syntax, and therefore working on it can be frustrating sometimes.
- Building small applications on Ember might feel like a waste of a heavy Framework.
Modern applications focused on deploying a rich user interface use EmberJs. Companies like Linkedin and Apple use it.
When not to use –
EmberJs is not a preferable Framework for developing smaller applications because a lot of its resources won’t even be utilized. If you have a small team of developers, try to avoid using Ember because its initial cost is high, and it may not be the right choice for creating a simple user interface.
FAQs of Front-end Frameworks
- What are front end frameworks?
Answer: They are CSS frameworks and packages having pre-written, standardized code in folders and files. They offer you a base to develop on while still enabling flexibility with the concluding design.
- Which front end framework can be used for large-scale applications?
Answer: Currently, there are 3 significant frontend technology stacks – Vue. JS, React. JS, and Angular ecosystem which are extensively used for large scale projects.
- Which front end framework can be used for small web applications?
- Which front end frameworks are easier?
Answer: React is easy to collaborate and learn. Vue can manage processes effortlessly and Backbonejs is quite easy to learn.
- Which front end frameworks are difficult to learn?
Answer: When matched to React, Angular is difficult to learn.
- When should I use the front end framework?
Answer: A front end framework offers you an assurance that you are building an application that is compliant and well structured, and that is further upgradable and maintainable.
- Is Django a front end framework?
Answer: Neither. Django is a framework or a language. It is a collection of Python libs enabling you to swiftly build a superior quality Web-based application, and is fit for both front-end and back-end development.
- Is jQuery a front end framework?
So far, we’ve discussed some of the best front-end frameworks available. However, the technology is ever-evolving, and who knows, we may have an even better Framework shortly.
Besides developing new Frameworks, the already available ones are spreading their roots deeper in the market through regular updates and introducing better features. Therefore, there will always be various Frameworks available for the Front-end developers to learn and work with.
Technostacks has a dedicated team of front end developers. Contact us for front end development projects or hire our professional front end developers.