Top Backend Frameworks for Web Development
Backend frameworks are the essential building blocks when it comes to application development for brands around the globe. Without a backend framework, your website will not stand.
With the availability of so many frameworks, it is difficult to understand which one works the best. Before we jump into the top backend frameworks, let’s look at what a backend framework is and why you should use it.
What is a Backend Framework?
Backend frameworks are server-section frameworks created to make tasks hassle-free for developers.
Why Should You Use a Backend Framework?
The main objective of a backend framework is to better automate the overheads correlated with software development aspects.
Some advantages of using backend frameworks for web development are:
● Time-saving features
Besides this, it is important to remember that most are open-source backend frameworks.
Best Backend Frameworks for 2022
This leading open-source backend framework is based on the programming language Python and considers MVC structure. The framework was created to develop feature-rich database-driven sites and is one of the easiest backend development frameworks to work with.
Features of Django:
• Offers Superior Scalability
• Higher Security
• Swift Development.
• SEO Optimized
Advantages of Django:
● A low learning curve framework that helps backend developers speed up the entire process of building a website from start to finish.
● With its wide set of rich features, users can take care of simple tasks like user authentication, content administration, sitemaps, and more.
● Django offers optimal security. It helps prevent security issues; this includes clickjacking, cross-site scripting, request forgery, and SQL injection.
● Django is versatile and can be used for multiple varieties of applications. These include content management systems, computing platforms, and social networking applications.
● Offers higher scalability. Django delivers high scalability to users and is one of the most popular backend frameworks that leading websites use.
Disadvantages of Django
● The backend development community does not prefer using Django because they have less control over the workflow process.
● Some developers do not consider Django a suitable choice for minor projects as it requires too much coding.
● It lacks conventions. This creates multiple problems for developers, such as slow speed in development, low comfort levels, and contrasting components.
Examples: The Washington Times and Mozilla
Read More:- Reasons to Choose Django For Web Development
Another open-source backend framework is Laravel. It is used to develop Symfony-based applications that have the model-view-controller architecture design. This compartmentalized packaging system is equipped with a dedicated dependency manager.
Laravel tops the list of most used Backend frameworks. It also provides developers with multiple options for accessing relational databases while maintaining applications and deployment utilities.
Features of Laravel:
• MVC Architecture Support
• Safe Migration
• Exclusive Unit-testing
• Complete Security
Advantages of Laravel:
● Laravel has a simple API that offers drivers for Amazon SES, Mandrill, SparkPost, and SMTP.
● Implementation of the authentication process is simple and easy with Laravel.
● Laravel has a pre-configures error handling process with a Monolog library integration that offers support to multiple handlers.
● Laravel supports multiple cache backends like Memcached and Redis. It uses the file cache driver that acts as object storage in the file system.
Disadvantages of Laravel
● Compared to other backend frameworks, Laravel is comparatively slower.
● Any occasional update for this backend framework is risky for developers, especially when done without taking the right steps.
● Compared to other backend frameworks like Ruby on Rails or Dango, Laravel has restricted support.
Examples: Pfizer and BBC
- Express JS
This framework, also known as Node.js web application framework that available under the MIT license. It can be leveraged for building web applications and enabling APIs. Express.js is a standard Node.js server framework.
The framework was a MEAN backend component, AngularJS frontend framework, and NoSQL database. Express JS is considered to be one of the top backend frameworks.
Features of Express JS:
• Quicker Server Side Development
• Enable Middleware
• Facilitate Routing and Templating
• Faster Debugging
Advantages of Express JS
● It has an easy and straightforward learning curve. Developers can easily learn Express JS as it is easy to learn and understand.
Disadvantages of Express JS
● ExpressJS works well for small and medium projects, but it is not optimal for large projects.
● Many backend developers agree that the unavailability of a well-defined body parser is a negative of ExpressJs.
● ExpressJS does not collaborate with out-of-the-box security measures. It does not have any added security features or such other functions. It depends entirely on how secure the developers build their apps rather than the platform itself.
Examples: MySpace, PayPal, and IBM
This Python-based framework does not need any specific tools or libraries. Flask provides support for extensions that help add features that seem part of the Flask code. This backend framework does not have any validation or database abstraction layer.
Features of Flask
• Enable Development Server and Debugger.
• Back Unit Testing.
• Easy RESTful Request Dispatching.
• Leverages Jinja Templating.
Advantages of Flask
● The multiple components of Flask can be modified based on the project requirement.
● Simple and easy to configure.
● The backend platform modular code is simple for developers. You can create multiple servers and applications across extensive server networks for specific tasks.
● The framework is designed for high-volume and performing users.
Disadvantages of Flask
● The framework does not have any admin or authentication process.
● This framework is difficult and time-consuming for extensive applications.
● The backend development community has issues with the support provided for Flask.
Examples: Airbnb and Netflix
- Spring Boot
The Springboot backend framework is an open-source application and is Java’s inversion of the control container. Developers can use multiple extensions to create web apps on Java EE platforms and the core features of Springboot together.
Features of Springboot
• App events and listeners
• Conveyed Configuration
• Backing by YAML
Advantages of Springboot
● A boilerplate configuration is not required.
● Application properties are customizable.
● Has embedded support for Tomcat, Undertow, and Jerry.
● Dependency management is easy.
● It offers profile-specific properties that are easy to manage
● The server auto-restart required for code and configuration updates is added through DevTools.
Disadvantages of Springboot
● If you are new to coding or Spingboot, you may find using the application challenge.
● Springboot has unaccustomed dependencies, which increase the size of deployed files. Because of this, there is not much control over the framework.
● Springboot is a great backend framework for small to medium projects but is not the best choice for high-volume tasks.
Examples: Udemy and Trivago
- Ruby on Rails
This Ruby-based server-side web application framework comes with an MIT license.
This MVC framework offers data-based default structures, web services, and pages. Ruby on Rails is comprehended as one of the best web frameworks by developers.
Features of Ruby on Rails:
• Completely Object-oriented
• Straightforward Testing Tool
• Automated Deployment
• Server-side Scripting
Advantages of Ruby on Rails
● This backend framework allows developers to use standardized file storage systems and conventions.
● Ruby on Rails provides ready-made plugins and modules that reduce the time required for coding.
● The backend framework is an open-source frame with an MIT license.
● The framework offers high scalability options to developers. It is more suited for high-volume customer websites.
● Ruby on Rails provides users with bug-free software options. The Minitest tool gives developers multiple testing features such as test benchmarking, mocking, and expectation syntax.
Disadvantages of Ruby on Rails
● The overall runtime speed of Ruby on Rails is haunting for high-volume website developers.
● The backend framework does not have enough documentation for developers.
● Ruby on Rails is not flexible enough for unique projects.
Examples: Etsy, Urban Dictionary, and Dribbble
This web-based framework was designed by the team at Express to be faster, more expressive, and have a more robust foundation for web applications and APIs. By using the async functionality of Koa, developers can abandon callbacks and enhance their management of errors. Koa is a free framework that provides developers with many fast server writing options.
Features of Koa
● Small Footprint
● Leverages ES6 Generators
● Enhanced Error Handling
● Utilizes a Context Object
Advantages of Koa
● The fast application is completely customizable.
● Easier to learn and understand the framework than others.
● Browser focused and helps to render and template faster.
● Offers convenient third-party integrations and middleware.
● Closer to the Node.js middleware than any other framework
Disadvantages of Koa
● Developers need to install a separate router within the framework. This is often time-consuming and tedious.
● Because it is comparatively new, it does not have much support from the backend development community.
● It is not compatible with frameworks other than Node.js.
Examples: Brainhub, LetzChange, and GAPO
- Cake PHP
This widely used framework is written in PHP and has the MVC architecture. It also has an MIT license and is similar to Ruby on Rails. This backend framework has a popular software design and includes engineering concepts like front controller, convention over configuration, active record, data mapping, and model-view-controller.
Features of Cake PHP
• Compatible with PHP versions
• Blended RUD for database interface.
• Follow MVC Architecture
• App Scaffolding
Advantages of CakePHP
● CakePHP lets developers create reusable codes across multiple projects.
● CakePHP is rich in this data conversion technique that helps convert data for incompatible platforms.
● With the CRUD functionality in CakePHP, users can read, create, delete and update any actions easily.
Disadvantages of CakePHP
● This framework does not confer with default routers to fancy URLs
● Developers often complain of CakePHP’s difficult documentation.
● Migration from one version of CakePHP to an updated one is challenging.
Examples: Hyundai, Express, and BMW
- ASP.NET Core
ASP.NET core is an open-sourced backend web development framework that the .NET Foundation widely uses. This modular framework runs across the entire .NET framework with Windows and .Net Core.
Features of ASP.NET:
• Cross-platform Support
• Higher Performance Levels
• Asynchronous through async
• Integrated MVC
Advantages of ASP.NET Core
● ASP.NET core uses less code. This means lesser maintenance for developers.
● ASP.NET core is a cross-platform application backend framework that supports multiple platforms such as Max, Linux, and Windows.
● One of the biggest advantages is that ASP.NET core offers the latest updates to improve the application’s performance.
Disadvantages of ASP.NET
● ASP.NET has no username, password changing, or email verification process.
● ASP.NET is expensive when compared to other frameworks. Especially when you realize that you need the licenses of SQL servers, Visual Studio, and Windows to use this framework.
● If you make one change in a version, the next version may not work. So, a new code has to be updated.
Examples: DELL, GoDaddy, and Ancestry.com
- Play Framework
Written in Java and Scala, Play is considered one of the most powerful technologies for backend development.
MCV architecture has multiple features, such as reloading hot code, showcasing programming errors, and focusing on upgrading developers’ profitability. It is also a non-blocking program.
Features of Play Framework
• Hit Refresh-based Work Flow
• Commanding Console and Tools
• Enable In-built Testing
• IDE support
Advantages of Play Framework
● It is a faster framework that allows working on multiple projects.
● Testing is easy and provides authentic results.
● The user interface is highly intuitive.
Disadvantages of Play Framework
● Complicated language and not good for beginners.
● Does not provide backend compatibility.
● Hard to understand the architecture.
● Has multiple plugins but is not completely stable.
Examples: LinkedIn, Accenture, and Deloitte
This backend framework is written in the Elixir language and utilizes an MVC pattern. Phoenix was created to facilitate the performance of high-volume applications. As it is based on the Plug library and Cowboy Erlang framework, it provides full functionality from the Cowboy server.
Features of Phoenix
• Enable Authentication
• Real-time elements
• In-depth Testing
• Easy Deployment
Advantages of Phoenix Framework
● Phoenix framework is a highly reliable backend framework for web applications. It helps facilitate developers’ reliability and makes application resource management easier.
● The framework offers high concurrency, a process where multiple processes run together but are independent of each other.
● Because of the Elixir syntax, Phoenix framework can easily construct and decipher codes while maintaining overall productivity.
● The program can detect and absorb faults that rise out of programming typos.
Disadvantages of Phoenix Framework
● Businesses do not want to use Phoneix because it is difficult to get Elixir proficient developers as the language is hard to learn.
● As this framework is relatively new, it has a small community of developers compared to others.
● Because it has a small community, its resources are limited as well. But any code or resource required to build an app is available within the framework.
Examples: Fresha, Stack Scanner, and Quero
The Fiber framework is mainly created for Golang programmers. It was created on Fasthttp, the fastest HTTP engine available.
The main aim behind designed this framework is to fast backend development and less memory consumption.
Fiber is an extremely powerful framework and is easy to integrate with third-party libraries. It has great support for routing, building REST APIs, serving static files, low memory footprint, Template engine, and Flexible Middleware support.
Features of Fiber Framework
• Optimized for Swiftness
• Quick Server-Side Programming
• Simple Routing
• Static files with bespoke prefix
Advantages of Fiber Framework
● Built-in middleware for tasks.
● Extremely fast performance with a low memory footprint.
● Easy serve static files and works well with databases.
● Supports all popular template engines.
● More scalability options with fewer overhead issues.
Disadvantages of Fiber Framework
● The framework does not support HTTP 1.0 and HTTP 2.0.
● Lack a strong community as most developers prefer to use other frameworks like Gin.
● Does not provide noticeable performance boost even though it is fast.
Examples: Spacehut, Modanisa.com, and Cartesius
When choosing a backend framework, you need to check which one matches the project you are working on. Our comprehensive list of the best backend frameworks and their advantages and disadvantages will help you choose. Before jumping in, it is best to research it and see what the community thinks.
We at Technostacks, a leading web development company, have an experienced in working with the global clients. An expert team of dedicated backend developers at Technostacks can able to meet with your project requirements.
Contact us for more information.
FAQs for Best Backend Frameworks
- What is a backend framework?
Backend frameworks also known as server side programming languages libraries and it is mainly used for building the backend structure of the website. It offers ready to use functions to create a robust websites.
- Which backend framework is mostly used?
Using a backend framework depends on the type of web app you want to build. Laravel and Django are the most utilized and exclusive backend frameworks. Some other most leveraged backend frameworks include Flask, ExpressJS, Ruby on Rails, Spring, and NestJS.
- What are the best backend frameworks, and why?
The best backend frameworks are Laravel, Django, Flask, ExpressJS, Ruby on Rails, Spring, and NestJS. These frameworks are easy to use and learn, can be easily scalable, and offers proper documentation.
- Is Nodejs a backend framework?
A typical misunderstanding that most people have is that Node.JS is merely a backend framework. In reality, Node.js can be used for both frontend and backend programming. Node.js enables server-side code with superior proficiency and it offers a larger bandwidth to manage big-sized projects.
- What is the easiest backend framework?
The easiest and most approachable backend framework is Django. It is built on Python and has an MVC architectural pattern. It is suitable for developing feature-rich websites that are database-driven.
- Which backend framework is most popular?
Depending on the project and the requirements, developers choose which programs work better. The easiest backend framework to use is Django, and some of the most popular ones are Laravel, Django, ExpressJS, Flask, Spring, and Ruby on Rails.
As per the developer’s community feedback, Django is the most popular backend framework to use. It provides optimal security and a set of rich features to build a extensive web applications. Other popular frameworks are Laravel, ExpressJS, Flask, Spring, and Ruby on Rails.
- Is Python used for the backend?
Python can be used for both backend and frontend development. Its easily approachable syntax and widespread server-side enablement make Python ideal for backend development.
- Is React frontend or backend?
- Which language is best for the backend?
Some languages that are best for backend development are
- What backend should I learn in 2022?
If you are planning to learn some backend languages, then start with Python. This multi-purpose language is used for web development and data analysis. Also, multiple backend frameworks are written in Python.