Best Programming Languages For Developers
Today, advanced transformation have entered almost every industry and that’s the why the businesses opt for web development.
There are a number of most popular programming languages are there in the market and you should choose among that as per the requirements.
Technologies are enabled through programming languages, and there are more than 600 programming languages in the technology space. The command and recognition of programming languages swing every year. Also, new programming languages are coming with eye-catching features and functionalities.
Below mentioned most popular programming languages are in high demand to facilitate software development services as well as web applications.
12. R programming language
These are highly used and the most popular programming languages in 2023. For each, there is required information about the language, advantages, complexities, and usages.
About GitHub and why we are mentioning it here
GitHub is one of the best platforms for sharing code to different stakeholders. To make sure you do this without any stoppage, GitHub offers numerous features and wikis for all categories of technology projects. It backs an entire community where 83+ million professionals discover, share, and work mutually to develop software through different programming languages.
There are vast number of professionals work on GitHub to create remarkable projects jointly across 200+ million repositories. (Source:- Wikipedia)
GitHub has made things simpler for programmers and programming teams can now write swifter and enhanced code using features accessed through GitHub.
Here are the most popular programming languages of 2023 as per GitHub. Python, Java, C++ and Go programming are the top on the list.
We have researched on a diverse range of development forums, discussed with programming specialists, and reviewed Github communities to explore this list.
So, which are the best programming languages? Continue reading to explore most popular programming languages and why you should be utilizing them now.
One of the most popular web programming languages, Python, continues to be amongst the best contributors in the development world.Python, as an inclusive language, can be used in many diverse categories of projects, including but not restricted to building APIs, desktop applications, crawlers, scrapers, backend systems, and much more.Python is integrated-up into the latest technologies, including machine learning and data analytics, blended with top-rated plugins and 3rd party libraries. Libraries such as SciPY and Panda are highly prevalent in the industry.It is this accessibility of sound 3rd party libraries that make Python one of the most popular programming languages currently.
● It can come in use for nearly every sort of open source project.
● Because of its straightforward syntax, extensive library of standards and toolkits, and interoperability with other well-known programming languages like C and C++, Python is regarded as a programming language that is simple to learn.
● Frameworks and libraries are extensive and serve a wide range of applications.
● It is applicable for Java and C counterparts such as CPython and Jython.
● Not entirely suitable for managing projects that need low-level manipulation of solutions and systems.
● Python requires a lot of memory to be user-friendly, which can be an issue if you’re trying to create programs that need to be memory-efficient.
● A drawback of this language is that it consumes a lot of memory, which is problematic for creating apps that prioritize memory optimization. As a result, Python is typically used for server-side development rather than client-side or mobile application development.
● Python is not an upright selection for building mobile applications.
Read More:- Top Python Libraries You Should Know About
Java is still applicable to the community like it was years ago. It has retained its position as the most popular programming language and utilized for many good reasons.The JVM (Java Virtual Machine) paradigm used in Java ensures development projects to run virtually on any system. It is high on scalability functionalities as compared to other far-reaching applications.With one of the biggest developer community, Java is unquestionably going to keep hold of its position as one of the best programming languages for time to come. The technology industry always pays additional attention to Java programmers. So, developing an innovative open-source application using it will bring you in the face of the limelight. That is why developers and clients choose Java for building their subsequent projects.
● Effortless to access the essential components like file systems, design elements, graphics, and advanced programs that can run on various operating systems.
● Large enterprises worldwide employ client-server applications, and Java is the programming language most often associated with their creation.
● Even though Java is designed to be a loosely coupled programming language, applications written in it can run on any platform that supports them.
● As a result, Java is referred to as the “write once, run anywhere” programming language.
● Involve new vocabularies to discover and so requires an investment of more time or effort.
● Contrary to server-based applications, Java is not the best choice for cloud-based apps (which is common for business applications).
● Additionally, a licensing price is associated with using the Java Development Kit, owned by the software giant Oracle.
This programming language leads the way of the modern world’s most utilized programming languages. C++ is not going to be out of work in decades to come. Each complicated system that initiates from the operating system to government mainframes uses C++ in diverse forms.Amongst the leading organizations, even Google uses this programming language to enable it is most resource exhaustive operations. As C++ gives programmers access to very low-level system elements out of the box, it is used at the length of embedded systems commonly found around us.As advancements in embedded systems such as IoT devices and smartwatches are increasing, C++ is more and more used in different development projects. If you are a developer in this industry, only C++ can assist you in your most probable breakthrough.Besides, if you are involved in developing complex open source systems that solve current-day issues, you won’t get anything that provides a superior outcome than C++. And it is even the most popular programming language for a career.
● It allows the developer with more and superior control as matched to the other languages.
● The portability of the platform independence functionality of C++ makes it straightforward for user base to operate the similar app on multiple OS’s or UI’s.
● Many people in the community appreciate Memory Management.
● It is a little trickier to learn, explore, and become prolific with it than other languages.
● Because C++ is an object-oriented programming language, it has many security flaws, making it less secure than other programming languages.
● The amount of memory required by the pointers used in C++ makes it unsuitable for some devices.
- Go Programming Language
One of the newest programming languages to gain speedy growth, Go is capable of handling some of the toughest computational issues with a comparatively smart approach.Go blends all the advantages of C. It is a static typed, assembled language, and has advanced features like garbage collection, structural typing, as well as CSP-style concurrency. The language is natural to learn even for fresh programmers while being exceedingly prevailing at the same time.Many most up-to-date open-sources, successful projects have embraced Go programming language for the handiness it provides without missing on needed features. From its present standpoint, Go seems to be the language that will empower most potential development solutions.
● It is compelling with a supportive new community for your advanced projects.
● It’s a comparatively latest language with few resources, including libraries.
● Its underlying contradictions make its simplicity appear flimsy.Disadvantages:
● Less flexible, lack useful 3rd party modules, and is short of reusability.
● Lack of performance argument overloading and default values.
● Absence of generics.
● Quickness, straightforwardness, interoperability, new features as well as extensive functionalities.
● There were some problems with security measures, client-side scripts, and support interpretations. However, most of these issues are covered-up as of now.
● Some advantages of Typescript are provided via type inference without actually utilizing them.
● Access to ES6 and ES7 capabilities before major browsers start supporting them.
● It takes more time to compile the code compared to others and doesn’t back abstract classes.
● Excessively convoluted type system. A type system is a fantastic tool in many ways, but it can occasionally be too hard to use correctly.
However, with the increasing usage of sites using CMS like WordPress and Drupal, you cannot think PHP is dead. Although experiencing moderately less attention, PHP will persist in advancing for years to come and keep hold of its spot as one of the most popular programming languages.
When building your next web project, if you are looking for a dynamic programming language that has high-end abilities accurately mixed with robust database manipulation functions, PHP should always be on your chosen list.
● Speed up customized development, enable easy maintenance and automate development tasks with a reduction in overall costs.
● PHP is precise, open-source and cost-free.
● Apps developed with PHP and linked to a database can be loaded swiftly.
● Require learning PHP frameworks, on the whole quality, is at variance and are short of preferences to alter core behavior.
● Because it is open-source and the ASCII text file is frequently accessed, it is not very secure.
● Large-sized and content-based web apps need not leverage it.
Read More:- Best PHP Development Tools For Developers
- RubyRuby was created in the mid-90s; however, it gained popularity during the last decade. It is a highly dynamic and object-oriented language and has many features to use for programmers.
Ruby is the most popular programming language to be learned if you desire to commence enabling and facilitating big-size open source projects.
● It allows the undemanding and quick development of web applications.
● For all developers, Ruby can make programming and coding easy and enjoyable.
● In addition, Ruby programmers will be able to attest to its interactive user interface and how much simpler it is to learn than other programming languages.
● Low runtime, as well as less boot speed, affects performance and stability.
● Ruby rigorously adheres to standards and paradigms, which makes it challenging to change the core codebase.
● Regarding RubyGems, frequently used in application development, documentation is not always current.
- C Programming
The general-purpose programing language C is made to function effectively in business applications, gaming, and graphics. C constructs translate easily to plain hardware instructions. It’s a long history of use in applications written in assembly language.
● According to Gorton, C provides an “excellent basis” for learning how to program, along with Python and Java.
● C, one of the earliest computer programming languages developed, served as the foundation for developing more modern languages such as Python, Ruby, and PHP.
● It is also a simple language to test, maintain, and debug.
● C is inappropriate for contemporary use cases, such as websites or mobile applications, as it is an older programming language.
● Comparing C to more contemporary languages, it also has a more sophisticated syntax.
● Despite being a universal language, C doesn’t support the OOPs idea.
C# is the best and multi-paradigm programming language utilized for many diverse projects. It offers you the aptitude to expertise any application you desire. Commencing from multi-faceted web APIs to comprehensive desktop applications, C# also excels in critical tasks such as web scraping. C# web scraping can beneficially automate data extraction processes, streamlining the data collection for developers and businesses. This capability further deepens its appeal to a broad range of programmers. C# widens developer’s tool-belt and can help in advancing the open-source community.Further, the language is straightforward and contemporary, with the facility to let developers take an object-oriented approach that is missing in C. And it is one of the most used programming languages in the industry.
● It is quite easy to find all levels of programmers as per the project requirements.
● Microsoft crafted C# as a swifter and secure substitute to C.
● It is completely blended with the precise Microsoft .NET software framework, allowing for the development of mobile apps, browser add-ons, and Windows programs.
● C# provides shared codebases, a large code library, and a diverse set of data types.
● Sometimes, it is difficult to work with C#, as the code requires to be compiled entirely with even small alterations.
● The code in C# requires to be assembled each time an alterations is made.
● They come with multiple errors if the code is not validated every time.
Over 60% of experienced Android developers use Kotlin, an up-to-date statically typed programming language that increases productivity, developer happiness, and code safety. The JVM version of Java and Kotlin are fully compatible with each other.
● Less coding-intensive than languages like Java;
● Compiler performance is way superior.
● It provides superior assistance with functional programming.
● Slower compilation progress.
● Different from Java
● Recruiting Kotlin experts are going to be harder.
- R programming language
R programming language generally uses for graphical and statistical analysis. Statisticians and data analysts frequently use it for data analysis. It’s of utmost significance in the data analysis, finance, and telecom industries.
● R is widely used in applications for statistical analysis and machine learning.
● The language can be extended and is compatible with many operating systems.
● R-aware programmers are in high demand because many large businesses have used R to examine their enormous data sets.
● The rigid programming conventions of more established, older languages are absent from R.
● It is less secure.
● It uses up a lot of RAM and is sluggish.
Scala is a compelling general-purpose programming language with statically typed data types that supports functional and object-oriented programming. Scala is employed in data processing, distributed computing, and web development. In addition, it’s used by many businesses to power their data engineering infrastructure.
● Scala decreases boilerplate code due to its precise grammar.
● It’s both a good part and an object-oriented programming language.
● In comparison to Java, it’s a smaller community presence.
● There isn’t much backward compatibility available in Scala.
- SwiftSwift is seeing significant demand in the development industry and going strong in these recent years. The enormous boost experienced by Swift is due to the handiness it provides to open-source programmers. The language used to enable the latest iOS applications; Swift has a lot to deliver related to building high-tech projects.The scope of developing iOS apps has contributed significantly to a boost of Swift developers as Apple’s iPhone continues to maintain its position as one of the top smartphones in the present scenario.
● It is the most popular programming language to learn and is quite expressive. It assists even the newest developers to facilitate flexible and advanced iOS applications. It is the outlook of Apple’s development projects.
● Swift has a highly understandable syntax, runs code quickly, and can be used for client-side and server-side development, like many contemporary programming languages.
● Namespaces in Swift are determined by the goal to which a code file belongs. Thus, programmers can distinguish between classes or values using the namespace identifier.
● It offers compact interoperability with third-party tools as well as IDEs. Sometimes, it is unstable with new releases.
● Older programs cannot be utilized with Swift; they can only be used with iOS 7 and later.
● As it is a new programming language, there aren’t as many third-party resources available to programmers, and the code can occasionally be unstable.
A statically typed programing language called Rust was developed for speed and security, with attention to memory management and safe concurrency. Its syntax is like C++’s. Mozilla Research developed it as an open-source project initially.
● High efficiency while maintaining memory security.
● Concurrent programming support.
● No doubt, Rust moves quickly.
● However, compared to other languages, it compiles code more slowly.
Dart may be a programming language for client development, like web and mobile apps. It aims to urge the most constructive programming language for cross-platform development by providing a configurable execution runtime platform for development.
● Dart remits object-oriented programming.
● Dart compilers are dependable and speedy.
● The syntax of Dart is obvious and type-safe.
● The first negative is that Dart has extremely few internet resources, making it difficult to seek answers to issues.
● Dart remains under development.
The high-level, interpreted programming language, Perl was initially created for text manipulation. It’s used for system administration, networking, and other applications that include user interfaces and takes many features from C and Shell scripts.
● Perl offers cross-platform support and is compatible with markup languages like HTML and XML.
● It is free software that’s open source and is distributed under the Creative Commons and GNU General Public Licenses (GPL).
● As a result of CPAN modules, Perl doesn’t support portability.
● Programs run slowly and need interpretation every time a change is made.
The MathWorks Company created the programing language MATLAB. When it began, algebra programming was done using a matrix programming language. As a result, it is often executed both as a batch operation and during interactive sessions.
● A program’s Graphical User Interface (GUI) can be created interactively by a programmer using a tool in MATLAB.
● A programmer with this ability can create powerful data algorithms that even inexperienced users can use.
● A machine language program is difficult to spot mistakes in.
● It takes time to write down a program in machine language.
We have shown above the list of current most popular programming languages that are highly used and are famous for their applications. It is not following any specific order instead of a generic list of some most admired programming languages. All these programming languages are the best, and their usages rely on your overall project size and client requirements.
If you have any queries, suggestions, or feedback for this article then you can comment below and ask us. Your responses will be highly appreciated.
FAQs on Most Popular Programming Languages
Q1) Which are the most used programming languages?
Python is the most popular programming language for web development and it has a wide range of frameworks available such as Django and Flask. It is easy to use and understand and for this reason, Python is the first choice to learn for beginners.
Q2) What are the top 3 programming languages?
The top three and most powerful programming languages are Java, C, and Python. These languages has the number of frameworks and libraries that makes it easy to use and implement in the web development project.
Q3) What’s harder: Python or Java?
Java and Python are the most widely used programming languages across the developer’s community. Python is more straightforward to learn than Java, the faster of the two. Each is well-known, platform-agnostic, and part of a large, welcoming community.
Q4) What is the No 1 programming language?
Python is the leading language of the future for programmers. As per research, Python is the primary coding language for about 80% of developers. With ML programmers and data scientists using it and favoring it above other programming languages for development, Python is currently leading the pack.
Q5) What are the 5 main coding languages?
- Python – The simplest language that is accessible to novices is Python. You can straight connect with the language’s creators for resolving challenges.
- C/C++ – People who continue to work on Microsoft and Windows use C/C++. It is the precise response for those who build games and can be leveraged for Unity 3D applications.
- SQL – pronounced “sequel,” SQL An information retrieval and database update computer language known as SQL, or Structured Query Language, is employed.
- Java – The cross-platform capability of Java makes it appealing to developers.
Q6) Which programming language should I learn in 2023?
Q7) What is the best programming language for web development?
Q8) Which programming language is most in-demand in 2023?
Q9) Which are the most popular programming languages?
Q10) How to decide which programming language to use for a project?
The following are the important factors that should need to be considered when choosing programming language for a web development project.
- First check out the types of the application
- Which will be the platform of the application?
- Performance of the language